Leading the way toward solutions
With an interdisciplinary approach, we're addressing local issues with global consequences
Located in the midst of Florida's complex freshwater and saltwater systems, The Water School is uniquely positioned to explore water-based issues. The health of waterways impacts surrounding ecosystems, regional and state economies and people who rely on water for life and leisure. By taking a leadership role in this vital arena, FGCU acts as a catalyst for change in our community and throughout the world.
FGCU breaks ground on new water school building
The newest school focuses on interdisciplinary studies and brings together 16 different programs including engineering, business, health and psychology to work under one roof. Learn about The Water School
Animation of The Water School
The Water School at FGCU will call AB9 home in 2021.
Study water, the environment and sustainability at FGCU
Want to be an agent of change in the world as the global community faces challenges like energy crises, water shortages and climate change?
A comprehensive center for learning and research
The Water School uses a holistic approach that focuses on the environmental sciences but also draws in the social sciences, health sciences, business and engineering. It was designed to:
- Feature state-of-the-art research and learning facilities where students receive the professional preparation they need to tackle real-world problems.
- Bring together all water-focused faculty from the marine and ecological sciences, biology, engineering and business fields.
- Integrate our off-campus facilities that provide access to the Gulf of Mexico, estuaries, rivers and the Everglades.
- Draw in local, national and international partners and open the doors to new partnerships.
- Conduct outreach and education programs in our local communities so that we help create a more water-literate society.
- Empower FGCU to claim its rightful place as a leading, independent source of environmental and scientific knowledge.
- Take the lessons we learn here and apply them throughout the state, nation and world.
Health & Well-BeingUnderstanding how our waters – and water problems – affect human health is a critical focus.
Along with The Water School, FGCU is home to four research centers and institutes.
Each center and institute is dedicated to expanding undergraduate and graduate students' educational hands-on research and experiences.
The Water School AnnouncementThe event was March 22 and attracted attention nationwide. Hear President Martin's remarks.
A Legacy of Growth - FGCU Timeline
After 21 years now, we’ve reached a level of maturity in terms of our curricular programs, our research capacity, our people. It’s really about making our communities better, making our communities healthier, making our communities stronger, making our communities more prosperous.
— Greg Tolley, Ph.D.,
Professor of Marine Science, Chair, Department of Marine and Ecological Sciences
Research & Water NewsMore Water Stories
High school students work with FGCU researchers to combat climate change
Summer 2020 President’s and Dean’s lists honor FGCU’s top scholars